Siri works even while you’re offline for specific instructions, which is a subtle but essential new feature in iOS 15. This means better performance, but not all offline queries will function. Let’s take a look at what works and what doesn’t with iOS 15.
During Apple’s WWDC keynote, the company unveiled the new offline Siri capability as well as several use scenarios. Offline Siri instructions are quicker and more immediate since they don’t require communication with a server.
With a new privacy provision and on-device processing set to arrive shortly, Apple has stated that audio recorded by Siri will not leave your iPhone.
Here’s what you should anticipate from the offline Siri in terms of functionality.
What works with offline Siri in iOS 15?
- Opening apps
- Controlling system settings like dark/light mode, volume, Accessibility features, Airplane mode, Low Power mode, etc.
- Playing the next or previous song in the Music app
- Setting and changing timers and alarms
What doesn’t work?
- Any requests that call on continually updated info like weather, HomeKit, Reminders, Calendar, etc.
- Most specific actions in apps
- Messages, FaceTime, phone calls
- Anything that needs an active internet connection